What is BIM?
Building Information Modelling (BIM) is a set of digital tools that can manage construction projects effectiveness. BIM is used to describe the process of planning and managing a major construction project through the creation and use of multi-dimensional digital representations of the physical and functional characteristics of a project. This allows for the effective visualisation of a project, thereby mitigating risk and aiding the fine-tuning of the design process.
Adding Values to Every Project
BIM reflects a smartly built environment. A smart building is not only equipped with smart technology, but is planned, designed, constructed, and managed in a transparent and efficient way, resulting in an increased economic value for stakeholders.
BIM is an essential pillar for reaching future goals of smart design and sustainability, raising living standards, higher labor productivity and prime energy efficiency on a truly global stage. BIM construction management can also further prove advantageous for your business through:
- Saving your time and money – by tracing integrated 4D (time) and 5D (cost) information, the BIM model is a real-time, reliable and transparent project management tool.
- Increasing efficiency and productivity – by integrating and connecting all specialty trades in one model, ensuring the compatibility of designers and reducing design faults and construction deficiencies.
- Raising sustainability and operating standards – by simulating energy consumption or assuming dynamic in-house flows before physical establishments are in place, thus allowing for operation phase-oriented building design.
Making Well-Informed Decisions, Faster
BIM enables constant information exchange among architects, engineers, specialists, developers, contractors and other parties. It helps teams to make well-informed decisions faster, thereby achieving more effective and efficient design than if BIM had not been used.
Our use of BIM helps owners make decisions earlier in the design phase of the project. By making these decisions early, we are able to size the equipment properly and leave more space for the owner to rent or sell.
BIM can also be used for clash detection and to eliminate spatial conflicts, such as areas where the C&S, M&M and architecture designs call for equipment or component to occupy the same space.
State of Kuwait Embassy and Diplomatic Residences, Putrajaya, Malaysia
Engineering design and construction supervision of civil, structural and geotechnical works for the Embassy Building, Ambassador Residence and six Diplomatic Residences
Scope of Services
- Provide civil and structural design as well as coordination with local authorities for DO and BP
- client: State of Kuwait
- Year Of Complited: Nov 2016 – Present
Staff Village, Desaru, Malaysia
The client is desirous to build staff village and back of house (BOH) for the Desaru Coast development project. The BOH is meant to support the development of various hotels and theme parks which are currently being developed by the Client. The project is built with the 100% Industrial Building System (IBS) construction method.
Straits was engaged by the client to provide civil and structural engineering consultancy services as well as construction supervision services for the staff village Straits prepared all required documents for the development order and infrastructure for the site, while the building of the 5-storey staff quarters was contracted as a design-and-build (D&B) by the Client to accelerate the schedule. Straits also provide check consultancy services to the Client on the D&B contractor’s submission and construction work.
Resident engineer and clerk of works provision by Straits to monitor the construction at the site and ensure that construction is performed according to the plans and specifications. The major challenge for the site is the interfacing between the two contractors’ works that progress simultaneously; one is constructing the infrastructure (earthwork, drainage, water, sewer, power) while the D&B contractor constructs the buildings.
The infrastructure contractor is required to meet the requirements of the building contractor (platform level, earthwork specification, utility connection details, etc) and ensure that the work programme is synchronized to avoid delays. The supervision team works closely with the design team and the Client to ensure that material approval, RFIs, RFA, testing and other requests from both contractors are addressed promptly to avoid delays.
Scope of Services
- Civil and structural engineering consultancy & supervision
- Independent Checking Engineer (ICE)
- client: Theme Attraction Resort & Hotel Sdn Bhd
- Year Of Complited: April 2017 – March 2019
Sealife Legoland Malaysia, Johor, Malaysia
Straits provided services for Merlin Entertainment LLC (UK) and Legoland Malaysia for the construction of the first Sealife Centre in Malaysia. Sealife is an aquarium attraction which showcases fresh and salt water creatures. Straits collaborated with local and foreign consultants in various disciplines. In the Feasibility / Business Case Stage, Straits provided preliminary civil and structural design based on the architect’s layout and allowed the QS to provide a budgetary estimate for the projects.
During the Design Stage, Straits produced submission drawings and reports for Development Order (DO), Infrastructure (Road, Drainage, Earthwork) and Building Plan (BP) as well as submissions to the water and sewerage authorities. Straits also produced the design drawings, calculations and reports which were used in the tender stage and coordinated with other disciplines. Weekly project meetings / conference calls were attended to ensure proper coordination between all disciplines. Straits participated in coordination meetings and obtained the required permits for the building.
In the Tender Stage, Straits participated in the tender interviews and clarifications, produced addendums as required. In Construction Stage, Straits is coordinating the C&S drawings and addressing discrepancies based on site conditions and contractor’s requests. Straits provides a full standing supervising Resident Engineer to address site issues and monitor the contractor’s work. RFI, RFA, site memos, NCR, etc are issued and/or responded by Straits as required or as relevant.
The challenges include substantial coordination between the various disciplines, as the requirements for theming (ID), aquarium life support systems (LSS), M&E and design of odd shaped tanks. As a solution, the team used Revit (ie, building information modelling or BIM), in 3D to allow clear view of utility/structure/architecture conflicts and accurate quantity take-offs, which also helped minimize variations during construction.
Scope of Services
- Planning, design, tender and construction supervision of Sealife Legoland structure
- Structural design of Ocean Tank and Sting Ray Tank
- Construction planning and handling of sea creatures
- Contract documents developed through BIM software
- client: Merline Entertainments
- Year Of Complited: Nov 2015 – Mar 2019
Rekascape, Cyberjaya, Malaysia
- Engineering design and supervision of civil and structural works for Entrepreneur Centre, Cyberjaya
- Envisioned as a catalyst towards an empowered and thriving community of entrepreneurs, it is positioned to drive robust economic activities through creativity and innovation
Scope of Services
- Provide civil and structural design as well as coordination with local authorities for DO and BP.
- Provide full standing supervision at site for entire project duration
- client: Cyberview Sdn Bhd
- Year Of Complited: Sep 2015 – Dec 2018